Thursday 16 October 2008

You Will Find Me if You Want Me in the Harbour


I went to the finance job fair at the Stockholm School of Economics last week, just to see old friends and have a look at the banks in general. It was sort of gloomy. A large tent thingy, freezingly cold inside with bad lighting and what simply must have been much fewer exhibitors than what was originally planned. In the current gloom, the Swedish stock market just having taken another plunge, bringing the OMX down by 40 % or so this year, it was all like a portent of things to come.

We live in interesting times, this week beginning on a brighter note with upwards movements as big as last week’s fall, and I guess the bankers were feeling a little bit better about themselves again. Graduating with a major in finance in a few weeks does not currently feel so good, given last night’s volatility putting onion on the salmon, as we say in Sweden.

I took a Sunday walk with Jonny. Nominally to find mushrooms, but as usual, our search yielded nothing edible. We did get to see a castle with adjacent sheep as well as some funny villas, and I bought a nice little bonsai tree I had to lug through the forest for a bit. All in all, quite a nice day.


And I spent some time in the harbour. I like harbours and freight containers and all that stuff.

No comments: