Tuesday 14 April 2009

Jolly Good

I spent Easter in the countryside by a beautiful forest, and now I am wondering why I live in the big city. I fed apples to horses and wood to the stove and it was all very nice. I also finished the novel Ghostwritten on the train. It was mostly awesome but had a bit of a let-down for an ending. Considering it instead a collection of short stories, it is an even better book. I also read Warren Ellis’ Crooked Little Vein which was much worse than I would have guessed. Given that he is one of the best writers in comics ever, I was surprised that his novel was much like a coprolaliac Pratchett. There was humour and there was intelligence and there was a good basic idea and there was no joy in reading it. Speaking of Pratchett, his latest book Nation was great. Given his Alzheimer’s and all, I was more hoping than expecting him to release something new, but it was the usual fare. Jolly good, that is.

No comments: