Wednesday 25 July 2007

Kafka didn't have a lot of fun either

Having been quite impressed by the Murakami book I mentioned previously, I got one of his novels, Kafka on the Shore. It was actually one of the best books I have read in ages. Granted, it sometimes becomes a bit too... referencish, for lack of a better word, but it was fab anyway. I somehow found it to be a bit of a mix between Coelho's The Alchemist and Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach (I like the former much less than the latter, mind you, but that is another story). However, I guess Murakami is far more intellectual and well-read than I am, and there are likely much more fitting comparisons that can be made. I can even confess that I cannot remember listening to the Beethoven trio mentioned in the book, even though I have doubtlessly heard it at some point in my life.

The book made me think of my old washed-out t-shirt which reads "Kafka didn't have a lot of fun either" and has a stylized picture of him in black and white - much like the classic Che motif but a lot more tasteful. I should probably get a fresh one.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Hello Kall,

Nice blogger you have.

We saw that you've catched the damage done from the sisters of mercy... How did you found it??? We are searching for 3 years now on this item without succes... Lot of imitations in the market.

Thanks for your advice.

Gwen - Belgium