Monday 13 August 2007

Real Estate Ants

I have now had my (hopefully) last exam ever. Last, unless I someday decide I would like to become a doctor or I feel like studying for studying's sake. Anyway, the subject was real estate finance, and it makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. Studying (basic) chemistry or physics is ok, because it tells what matter will and will not do. Studying economics and statistics is worse to me, because it says what people in aggregate will and will not do. I prefer believing in free will and that the human mind cannot be so easily predicted, actions of human groups modelled like those of ants. Alas, that can be pretty hard.

Statistics in themselves have always been a bit counter-intuitive to me, despite the fact that I have studied the subject quite a lot. Something inside me says that rolling a dice six times should be equally likely to give an average of 1 as one of 3.5. On the other hand, something inside me has always wondered why left and right are inverted in a mirror, but not up and down.

Something inside me might be a little bit daft, or maybe those Machine Elf Gods that people who trip on DMT report seeing are having a little joke at my expense. You never know.

No comments: