Friday 2 March 2007

Cardboard Box Coffee

Being at work, one of the things I like the most is the industial foodstuff they provide us, free of charge. Today, I found a bucket (!) of almond cookies, which tasted as stale as cookies in buckets can be expected to. I also drank stale cardboard-ish coffee, procured from the machine that one of my co-workers shuns. My life started long after the second world war ended, and surrogate coffee disappeared into the mists of time, but I think this is not far from the taste. And still, I rather prefer it (in small doses) to my go fasta red Nespresso machine at home. It is not like I do not appreciate good food or good coffee, but I really somehow like the cheapo stuff here. Whereas some people are drawn to the aesthetics of fascism, I am drawn to the foodstuffs of communism.

Well, not really.

This weekend will bear with it a damn lot of work for me. In addition to studying for two of my three last exams, I will also be spending time on cutting and producing a movie for the benefit of kids in India. Basically, what I do is make films about various charities in India which will make the moneyfolks in Europe open up their wallets to give these kids a proper education.

I think it is quite a worthwhile way to spend my free time. It can cost as little as something like $10 to teach a kid in the slums of Delhi or Mumbai to read and write. Now, that is what I call value for money!

Speaking of cardboard, try to find the song Cardboard Box City by Levellers (or let the magic of the 'net provide you with a copy), for it is damn good.

No comments: